Tuesday 24 July 2007

Wacom Bamboo Quick Review

One piece of essential equipment for the digital darkroom is a pen tablet. Wacom are far and away the leaders in this field. Years ago, when I was a graphics designer, I had an A4 tablet. For photo retouching there is no real need for such a huge (and expensive) piece of kit,. Until recently I was using a Wacom Graphire 4 tablet. When the pen finally stopped working I decided, rather than order a replacement pen, to update to a new tablet: the clear plastic surface of the Graphire was looking distinctly scratched and ugly.

Looking on the Wacom website, I was intrigued to see a new model, priced below the Graphire, called the Bamboo. The blurb aimed it squarely at "office" users for the exploitation of the pen features now built in to Vista. The text carefully avoided mentioning its use for photo editing, but a quick study of the specs showed that it is functionally (almost) identical to the Graphire and more or less the same size. At half the price of the Graphire, I thought it was worth a try so I ordered one.

Wacom must be trying to win an award for sexy packaging - the Bamboo comes in a matte-black box that wouldn't shame a diamond necklace. The tablet itself is also very handsome, with a "piano black" strip across the top of the matte-black pen surface.

As I suspected, it works just like the Graphire. The only "missing" feature I can identify is that the eraser on the top of the pen is not pressure-sensitive: I never used the one on the Graphire anyway. In fact, the Bamboo has features that the Graphire doesn't: four large buttons and a circular touch-pad. These are all programmable so you can make them do pretty much anything. I've altered the default assignments on mine to give myself some handy Photoshop aids.

All in all, I like the Bamboo much better than I did the Graphire. It looks better, has those programmable buttons, is cheaper, has a better stand for the pen than the Graphire and is half the price of the Graphire.

The only "silly" in the design is the USB cable. The Graphire had a permanently attached wire: the Bamboo has a miniature USB socket on the top edge at the left. Why would you ever need to unplug it? I don't understand why they added to the manufacturing cost in this way: it just doesn't make any sense. And worst of all, the plug on the USB cable sticks out just enough to make it vulnerable to being broken, as well as making it impossible to butt the tablet neatly up against the bottom edge of my keyboard.

The driver appears to co-exist amicably with my Logitech MX Revolution mouse (another GREAT piece of kit). I have a dual-monitor setup, so I've mapped the tablet's surface to the main monitor only. When I'm Photoshoping, I have all my palettes on the secondary monitor and use the mouse to click on that screen and the pen on the main screen. You quickly develop the knack of "parking" the pen by swivelling it in your fingers so you can use the mouse without needing to put the pen down. The technique is impossible to describe but completely intuitive in practice.

If you're serious about editing photos on a computer then you NEED a tablet. Even the simplest of retouching is made easier and more pleasurable. And the pressure-sensitivity of the pen is a boon when retouching, ensuring much better and more controllable results than the on/off nature of a mouse button.

Unless you're into painting or heavy-duty graphic design on your computer, save big-time on the cost of any of the "professional" models in Wacom's line-up and buy the humble little Bamboo!

25 comments:

tnemgarf said...

hi im studyin/doing graphic design and using more of photoshop, illustrator, freehand and other softwares. currently im usin graphire4 in school and thinking of getting a tablet for home which will either be graphire4 or bamboo. so which should i get?

btw, your cat's really cute =)

Jeremy Esland said...

Well, that's a tricky question... if you needed a tablet for photo editing only then certainly the Bamboo is every bit as good as the Graphire. But for illustration and graphic design work you may want to stick with the exact same tablet as you use in class. In fact, bigger is always better for that kind of work, so you could even go to one of the bigger Intuos tablets: more surface area means you can sketch and paint with the same stroke lengths as you use on paper. But if money is the limiting factor then I don't think you would be disappointed with the Bamboo.

More cat pictures coming soon ;-)

tnemgarf said...

you said that graphire and bamboo are similar in specifications just that bamboo's slightly wider [2cm] and has more shortcut buttons. so you prefer bamboo over graphire?

i wish i have budget for intuos3 but too bad im a poor student.. thats why im decidin between graphire & bamboo..

maybe i'll get bamboo [can get it @ sgd100] instead of graphire4 [which i can get @ sgd145]

i love tabbies, they are like mini tigers =)

Jeremy Esland said...

The only differences (that I can detect) between the Graphire and Bamboo are:

- Graphire has a transparent cover, under which you can place something (small) for tracing - I never used that feature on my Graphire

- Graphire pen has pressure sensitive eraser - also never used on mine

- Bamboo has programmable buttons

I liked the price of the Bamboo most of all: the programmable buttons were a bonus.

tnemgarf said...

same thoughts as me about the graphire eraser; why use it when you can use the eraser on photoshop with the pen nib

i ordered a bamboo and its comin in tonight but sad to say im without a pc to test cause its in the hospital =(

the guy was pushin graphire to me but comparin the areas [active and tablet] i think bamboo's 2cm wider in the active area and 2cm shorter in the overall area

Anonymous said...

Just to leave a note of thank you. This review helped a lot. I've been considering about replacing my Graphire, too.

Book-Geek said...

Thank you so much for this review. Maybe now, I will be able to get one for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Hello :]
I just wanted to leave a comment saying that this quick bamboo overview really helped me decide between the Graphire4 and Bamboo Fun tablets :D! Thanks :D

sapide said...

Hi there,
what about Bamboo and Bamboo fun differences? It would help me decide :)

Jeremy Esland said...

I've no idea about the Graphire Fun ... sorry.

Anonymous said...

hi,
thank you, this really helped!!
One question: if you have the eraser, you have the Bamboo A6 Wide, right?
I'm considering buying Bamboo Fun S actually (do the pens need batteries?)
I'm less graphic designer and more of a "drawer" so that description of Bamboo perfect for writing made me hesitate.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the review, i think this finally convinced me to get the bamboo instead of the graphire

James Ots said...

Funny that you thought the removable cable was a negative - I have an Intuos2 which has a built in cable, and it's the one thing I really wish was different. I use it with my laptop at work and at home, and after a while the cable broke, so I had to replace it (took it apart and soldered a new one in). Yesterday the replacement broke so I've just replaced it again. Maybe I'll put a mini USB connector in there next time.

Jeremy Esland said...

@james: it's not that the cable has a plug that bugs me - it's the fact that the plug sticks out so far at the top edge of the tablet. If they recessed the socket it would have been just fine.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for mentioning the fact the Bamboo plays well with an MX Revolution. I was a bit concerned that having the two coexist would cause some problems.

I also think I will go with the "vanilla" Bamboo over the Fun. I was really curious how necessary a pressure-sensative eraser would be. That and I already have a newer version of Photoshop than what is included with the Fun.

I would have liked the clear cover of the Graphire, but I think I can live without it.

I'm just planning on using this for fun and photo editing so I think the minimum spec will be just fine.

Thanks again for the insightful review.

Demonhawk said...

A quick question. What operating system are you running your bamboo on? I am running a dual monitor setup on Windows XP, and I cannot figure out how to map the tablet surface to a single screen. If you happen to know that would be great. Thanks

Jeremy Esland said...

I use Vista Business now, but I was on XP before. Sounds to me like you don't have the driver software correctly installed. The tablet will work without it, but once you install the proper Wacom software you will find all the controls in the Control Panel.

Demonhawk said...

Yea i installed the drivers that came with the bamboo. And I have the tablet properties option under my Control panel but I don't see anything that would allow me to map it to a screen. :(

Anonymous said...

hey, i came here through google because i'm considering finally buying a wacom. nice review, thanks :)

although im glad i can bind the tablet to one monitor in a dual monitor setup, is it possible to map one of the function keys to "change active monitor", so that the tablet then works on the other monitor ?

(when i do photoshop work i like to have the image on the left hand screen and keep layers, palettes, filters and so on the one on the right. going to a mouse everytime i wanna shuffle layers around sounds a little awkward to me.)

another question: on the wacom site it says that the bamboo fun editions were "better" for photo retouching and so on. while i presume they say that because of the bundled software (pse5, artrage) i'm still not sure if the tablets are technically different in any way. (apart from design + size) do you know?

Jeremy Esland said...

@k235: The function keys can be mapped to any keystroke combination or any application (including a batch file) - therefore if you can switch active monitors with either of those methods then, yes, you can assign a tablet button to do it. On the other question, my guess is you're right about the bundled software being the reason for the "better" statement.

Anonymous said...

thanks a lot for your quick reply.

i still don't know whether i want the small or medium one.. i guess i'll have to figure that out myself :]

nancy said...

just wanted to say that i appreciate this post. my graphire just broke and i was trying to figure out if the bamboo was on par with it or not. i will try the bamboo! Thanks!

Rich Garner, Streamliner Games said...

Regarding the dual monitors...
I just installed the Bamboo Fun (Pen & Touch white version) on a Windows XP SP3 machine with dual monitors. It took me over an HOUR to figure this out, so I'm proud I got it working and wanted to share:
Under the Babmboo Properties window, there is are radio buttons for "Pen" and "Mouse." With the "Pen" button selected, click on the "Details" button and you will be able to map to specific monitors OR to specific areas of the monitors. This area restrictions will ONLY work with the Pen. Touch functionality is still unrestricted across both monitors.
Enjoy.

moonrat said...

Those wondering about easily switching the tablet between multiple monitors; I've created a new app for windows that does just that: the Wacom Bamboo Monitor Switcher.

Jeremy Esland said...

Moonrat: installed and working on my W7-64 system. Very useful - thank you!