Wednesday 6 June 2007

Nikon vs Canon

Digital SLR cameras are "very cool kit". But as with any tech-related subject, there is too much focus on the "which is best?" argument.

So, in case you're wondering yourself whether to buy a Nikon or a Canon - here's my view:

I prefer Nikon gear. Never was happy with EOS1 and EOS3 film cameras I had in the past - threw them all away (right!) when I got into Nikon with the F5. Something about the overall feel, something about the controls.

Now that I'm all-digital, it's still Nikon. Not that I don't envy those guys with full-frame Canons (sometimes). And not that I wouldn't buy a Hasselblad H3 tomorrow (if I thought I could make it pay).

But it's all about the lenses, you see. Once you've handed over huge quantities of cash for those big-ass "pro" lenses then the debate is over. I have lots of Nikon glass, so I can't even think about buying a Canon body. Ever.

Nevertheless, if you want to know what to buy me for Christmas, I'd like:

  • a pair of Hasselblad H3D-39 bodies (you need a pair in case one flakes out on a shoot) with a selection of lenses - about Euros 120,000 should cover it,
  • a Horseman SW-D II Pro with a couple of digital backs and a few lenses - about Euros 100,000 give or take a bit.

If Father Christmas comes through on that little list, then try asking me again which camera system is the best. Nik-what? Can-who?

No comments: